Wednesday 5 September 2012

The tools #1 "The Hogger"

I have a real love hate relationship with this piece of machinery. I love the operations this type of machine can do in making planes. I can cut dove tails , open up the mouth of the sole of a plane and true the frog of a plane for example. The hate comes from how much damage this machine can do in an instant to a piece of work you already have many hours of work into. Admittedly ( if thats a real word) some of the damage is self inflicted as i am a self taught "machinist" so i probably do things i am not supposed to. This machine is also a little old and worn, there is more backlash than i would like. I am sure this wont be my last milling machine but for now i could not live without it. I can do the processes manually by hand but when you make planes in your spare time like i do a machine like this to do the "hogging" or rough work is really appreciated. Here are some more pics of some of the milling operations.





No comments:

Post a Comment