Thursday 6 September 2012

The Tools #2 Myford ML7 toolroom lathe


Fine machinery like fine tools bring pleasure every time they are used. This is one such piece of machinery. This lathe like me was born in Nottinghamshire U.K. in the 70's. It was made a few miles from where i was born i think in the same year too! I am very fond of this lathe, its capable of very precise and accurate work to within thousandths of an inch. I was fortunate enough to pick it up a few years ago from a retired gentleman who used it to make brass clock parts. It was well cared for with very little wear. I use it often to make lever cap screws, pivot pins and infill spacers. It does all i need for planemaking and making other hand tools like small brass plane adjusting hammers and tool handles in wood. I could not imagine buying a chinese import after using this fine lathe. I really like buying old used machinery.

No comments:

Post a Comment