Monday 1 October 2012

Preventing the pain

Yesterday I attended the Tools of the Trade show in Pickering, Ontario. For anyone that lives in Southern Ontario who is interested in old hand tools this show is a must. Its held in spring and fall each year and i've not seen as many old hand tools anywhere else. Yesterday I told myself I would only buy things I needed and would try to buy items specifically for for plane making. This is one such $5 purchase. My woodworking joinery bench is perfect height for planing material. When making planes haunched over it my back complains especially after a long filing session. This vice mounted on an old table leg 3x3 in my face vise raises the work and makes filing much easier closer to my eye level. While this set up may look very strange it is actually very sturdy and works well. If I want to work on another side of a plane I can just rotate the 3x3 in the face vise and clamp it down. Yesterday I spent 5 hours wandering between the vendors at the show, saw many awesome infills both old and new mostly stuck to my plan. I think I will get my moneys worth from this $5 purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment